How do you define the laptop? It is a small electronic device where you can do the official work from home. That is just one simple statement. Before mobile phones became popular, it was the laptop that was used to do many daily activities. For example, paying the bills, browsing the internet and more. But is that all? Are there no threats to this useful device? There are. In this article let us focus on threats connected to the laptop.
In recent times, even mobiles have become targets of ransomware. The reason, payments are made through mobiles rather than laptops. But the threats have not diminished. So, let us turn our attention on threats connected to the laptop, shall we?
Have you heard of a botnet? It seems you have. Your system may also have a botnet problem, but you would have missed the signs. In simple words, botnets are a number of bots or software robots having the capability to infect a number of laptops in large numbers. And a hacker controls these systems. Let us notice the destructive activities done by the laptop –
Your laptop may send spam emails (attached with viruses) without your knowledge.
Your laptop may spread malware of all types to your contacts via email.
Your laptop may be used as a part of a DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack to other systems.
2. Online Threats Connected To The Laptop – Distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack
Is the word “DDoS” familiar to you? No? No issues. We at VedTechno can help you understand. Just go through the following sentences. So, a hacker is interested to make a website, crash. So, he/she first makes an army of laptops. Or shall we say a proper laptop network and then attack. The hacker makes use of every laptop to browse/contact a particular website many a time. So, the result? The traffic to the website increases. The normal user who wants to access the website is faced with page uploading problems.
Ultimately, the website can crash.
When your laptop is faced with certain weaknesses, the hacker can enter to your computer and then gain control. Then he can make the laptop among the many devices attack a particular website. Or the other malicious activities that he can make your laptop do are –
- Your laptop will send unwanted data in large numbers to a specific website
- A large amount of spam email will get sent from your laptop.
Now, you know the meaning of the word “distribution”. The attacker is using many laptops, to launch attacks.
What Are The Steps You Can Take To Prevent DDOS Attacks?
- You need to install anti-virus, anti-spyware.
- You also have to have a firewall. In case, you have an official laptop. The reason, to restrict users coming to and leaving your laptop.
- You need to follow excellent security practices on email lists. Do not forget to apply email filters. This will help you save time on reading unwanted emails.
- Does your laptop go slow during certain times? Then check if your internet connection is slow. Or else, it may be a malware attack.
- You need not open attachments in the email if it is from senders you do not trust.
Are you the victim of a DDOS attack? Then take suitable assistance to fix the problem.
3. Online Threats Connected To The Laptop – Hacking
How do you define hacking? It is the action of a third party to gain access to your laptop. And these days, with multiple hacking tools available on the internet, even a non-technical individual can study, practice and become a hacker.
The hacker will first try to access your laptop the easy way. If not, then he/she will try to make use of every weakness to install spyware on your laptop. Usually, the spyware will a Trojan Horse. This program will serve as a backdoor entry for hackers to enter/search information.
4. Online Threats Connected To The Laptop – Malware
Malware can damage your laptop in a variety of ways. There are various types in the segment, such as adware, spyware, Trojan horses, worms and computer viruses.
Some destructive work of Trojans are –
- Your confidential files can get deleted.
- They can steal sensitive information.
- Sending malicious emails to your contacts via your mail.
- Take control of your computer (ransomware) and make you pay the money.
5. Online Threats Connected To The Laptop – Pharming
No, no, it is not about medical terminology. Pharming comes under the category of online fraud.
It is one of the many methods followed by hackers to divert you to a fake website identical to the real website. The website can convince that it is real and the identity is almost safe. Let us imagine the situation. You are the senior accounts executive of a company offering laptop repair services in Pune. You are responsible for sending payments to your company vendors. One day, you receive a mail from a reputed bank stating (you also have an account in the bank) you have won an award. It informs that you have to log in to the bank website and convey some information. You are surprised! When you check the From To Email address, you know that it is a fake and phishing email. The link for the website it has given must be fake. But the website will replicate every logo and feature of the bank website. If you had logged in with your bank details, your hard earned money would have vanished in thin air.
6. Online Threats Connected To The Laptop – Phishing
You must have heard the word “phishing” in many places. Did you receive a phone call claiming from a bank executive and asking about the PIN? If you had given him, the money would have got transferred. In all, phishing is a tricking activity used by cybercriminals via phone, SMS or chat options to gain your confidential information regarding your bank accounts.
7. Online Threats Connected To The Laptop – Ransomware
If there is a malware that strikes terror in the hearts of large corporates, it is ransomware. The program can restrict the entry to your laptop and demand ransom for giving access. Ransomware comes in two types –
a. Lockscreen Ransomware
If your laptop is affected with ransomware, you get a message on the screen stating to pay ransom to gain access to your device.
b. Encryption ransomware
This program encrypts files on the hard drive of your computer. It can even gain access to a network and perform the same acts on the shared network drives. Then it will ask for a ransom.
And how do the hackers make your laptop gain the ransomware? You get a fake email statement from the Income Tax authorities. When you open the email attachment, the ransomware gets downloaded and installed in the laptop. The other way is a fake notification to your email, claiming from the law authorities. The email will have an attachment and the content will state the law authorities have identified your laptop to be a device used for illegal activities. When you open the attachment sent in the email, the malware gets downloaded and installed to your computer.
8. Online Threats Connected To The Laptop – Spyware
Does the name remind you of James Bond movies? Then you are not wrong. The spyware gets installed in your computer without your knowledge. Usually, they come as free attachments and get installed automatically on your laptop. It is very difficult to remove the spyware. They can spread viruses in your laptop.
The spyware can
- Collect private information and send it to users.
- Transmit information regarding your surfing habits, passwords and more info to the hackers.
- Reputed spyware can transform the entire working of your laptop without your knowledge.
- Even though you want to browse reputed websites, the spyware will open unwanted websites or irritate you with pop-up ads.
9. Online Threats Connected To The Laptop – Trojan Horses
Have you heard the famous story about Helen of Troy? Then there is a good chance you may also have information about this malware. This software program can get installed and run automatically.
- This program can delete the files
- Your laptop will be used to hack third-party computers.
- Your activities can get recorded without your knowledge.
Laptop Infection: Signs To Notice
- Your laptop does not start at the touch of a button. It will take some time to get activated.
- If you try to open a program, the duration will be more.
- You find some files and data has disappeared.
- There are times when the programs and system get shut down or go for the crash mode.
- Your home page browser would have changed.
- Slow loading of web pages.
- You find there exist some programs running without your control.
What do the criminals do with your stolen data? They can sell it online. There is a million dollar market for stolen data regarding your bank confidential information. It is also true, that although mobiles are the recent targets of many cyber criminals, the attacks on laptops and computers have not diminished. As per the recent trend, it is the corporate and individual laptops which have taken most of the cybercrime attacks in a single year.
The loss of money happens when you stay away from natural websites and go to unwanted websites. Another factor is that many women are working from home, and through laptops. They send and receive payments for their job via the laptop.
10. Downloading of Third Party Software Programs
- Do you want to download software from a third party website? Be careful, as the software program may contain malware that can cause harm to your laptop data.
- There are other types of viruses such as malware and worms. The most dangerous is the rootkits (the malware gets installed prior to the antivirus program getting activated.
Updation of Features
Hackers are updating their virus with new features. So does even the antivirus companies and antispyware designing organizations. But there will be some patches in the anti-security software installed in your laptop. The hacker or the virus can take advantage of this weakness and gain access to your system. So, the antivirus software has to remain updated to its recent version. It is the only way to combat this problem. understanding the differences between these threats is the first step towards being able to eradicate them.
So, mentioned are some online threats connected to the laptop. So, what will you do if there is malicious software on your laptop? You will try every means to remove it by the DIY method. Right? But if it does not get removed? Then you will have to take the services of a laptop repair expert. Let us imagine, you are in Mumbai, and the official laptop has taken a hit. It is a four day holiday for the company. So, you have to get the laptop working.
to normalcy again. The next bright step? Browse the internet for the best household company offering doorstep repair services in Mumbai. Does the company have an app? Download and install in your mobile. Now search for the best profiles concerning the laptop repair experts in Mumbai. Choose the best near your home and schedule the time you want the pro to come to your home to fix unwanted software on your laptop.
Have you read the article? Please note there are many other online threats connected to the laptop such as zombies and many more. Want to get more info? Subscribe to our website newsletter.